Wednesday 7 February 2018

Thirty Paintings in 30 Days - Day 6

We have gone from a 'winter storm watch', to a 'winter storm warning'. Expected snowfall in the next 24-36 hours is expected to be  35cm (~12"). The temperature is forecast to drop and a wind chill in the -26C (-18F) on Thursday. So what does that mean for me......will blanket our large animals this evening (will keep them warm and dry) and give them a couple of bales of hay, make sure the generator is gassed up (fingers crossed we don't loose power) and fill up a couple of water containers - better safe than sorry. So what does the weather forecast have to do with painting? I will not have to/want to go any where and I am going to paint!!! I would like to make some progress on some paintings that are so close to being 'finished (but is any painting ever really finished?!) and get caught up on my 30in30.

Didn't have a lot of time for painting today but that is okay. I am happy with direction the dogs are going. I am not nor will I ever be a realistic painter. That is just not the painter I am. I love the freedom to work without a reference and instead from memory. If I do need a little help with one of the 'dogs' I can always sneak a peek at one of ours - they like to spend time with me in the studio - especially having their afternoon naps. Makes a very nice atmosphere for creating.




 7"X14"
acrylic mixed media on canvas

Dotty - if you are reading this - she needs a name! Please!!

6 comments:

  1. She looks like she is about to take an evening stroll around the neighborhood. Love her button nose, and the deep darks in this piece. LOVE that you proudly declared, "I am not nor will I ever be a realistic painter."
    I think I might wish to be. I admire those who are. But I don't think I will ever be either.
    I so admire your work, LOVE your work. And who needs realism, when what you have is heart!
    Fingers crossed for you, no outages! Burrr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so rewarding to read your comments Sheila. I am with you in my admiration of those who can paint realistically. I am not 'wired' that way. I am glad you like her - knowing that my art can connect with people in a 'positive' way gives me just another reason to paint more! Have a wonderful day!!

      Delete
  2. Title: Winter Storm Watch : )

    Janet, this pooch has the warm wonkiness of a well-loved Velveteen Rabbit kind of cherished stuffed animal, with its softnesses, its interpretive abstractions from realism, and its not-pristine-white fur.

    You have created quiet piercing drama here, the drama of moving through complete stillness into the soul of another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent title Dotty! Thank you!! The Velveteen Rabbit is a favourite of mine and in my rush to 'paint & post' I didn't stop to really look at her. - so thank you for that. You know when you really love something it can be quite daunting to try painting them. I am very happy to hear you are finding a connection with 'Storm'. I didn't really think about it or plan this but according to the Chinese calendar we will be celebrating the year of the dog!

      Delete
  3. Dotty is the best at titles #1! Your dogs are just perfect! The muted colors and his expresion exceptional!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Carol!! Thank you for the encouragement to continue with the dogs. I am fortunate to have you and others stop, look and comment. You open my eyes to things I have missed in the painting. Take care and have a good day!

      Delete