Monday 13 February 2017

Painting - More Practice...

Have cut back on the 'daily' painting. That doesn't mean that I'm not painting but spending more time on some of things that I like to do that lead up to painting. For me it means going for longer walks, reading more - fiction and non-fiction (ie art books), sorting through art supplies and doing some art in other mediums. Today I am sorting through my mono-printing materials. Looking for the glycerin and gum arabic mix, getting out the water-based materials I use, sorting the metal plates to find some sizes I want to work on and going through journal entries to refresh my memory on the technical side of mono-printing. I am excited returning to some printmaking. It has been a couple of years since my etching press has been used and now seems like a good time to have another go at printmaking.

On my Friday, February 10th post I included the start that I was going to use for my next 'daily' painting. There are a couple of other paintings that I worked on at the same time (works in progress), so I did not work exclusively on this one image. What you see is the original image - no cropping or other manipulation - it is what it is. Painted out quite a bit of the start and decided to veil the larger vessel on the right. Does it work? Some of it does, not all but it will be a good reference painting to refer back to.



Painting start


'Vessels #8'
11 1/4"X6 3/4"
Acrylic mixed media on
Arches 140lb hotpress paper

6 comments:

  1. First off I really like this technique, make the background and figure out what it looks like to finish the paper. Think it really is a great use of creativity. I am excited to see how you progress on printmaking. I just discovered it during the challenge, simple mono or dendritic printmaking. But the unexpected was always so intriguing. So know when I get to that part of your blog, plus what you are going to do it will be super interesting.
    Learning a lot on the social media and getting some results - still far away from deciding if it is worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Nelvia - thanks for checking things out. Agree with you - good use of creativity. And very freeing making the starts. Will post the results good, bad or indifferent. I will be interested to hear more about your social media results and if you think it is worth the time. Have a good day.

      Delete
  2. Janet, I'm absolutely mesmerized by your process and what you discover in a start that was painted willy nilly, so to speak, i.e. with no particular idea in mind of any endpoint. I want to watch you at work! Vessels #8 holds such a strong palpable sense of untold story. Captivating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning Dotty, thank you for commenting. Lots of turning and turning and sometimes I do have an idea. Once some imagery is found I usually start by painting out some of the negative space and calming things down - sometimes will draw a bit with pencil crayon to define a shape but I don't put in a lot of detail, this is a personal preference. Check out Jean Pederson (paintings) and her book Mixed Media Painting Workshop. I participated in one of her workshops and this is one of the starts from it. Looking forward to checking out more of Volva - and will search on the internet for some images by the author/artist you shared. Happy Painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, thanks for your reply. Loved hearing about your approach. I just poked around Jean Pederson's website—fun! Regrettably, the book of hers that you mention isn't available in my area library consortium.

      Delete
  4. Oh I just love the mood of this!

    ReplyDelete